07 September, 2006

We Contentious Wordsketeers

I'll admit it: when I joined this blog I had no clue what 'logomachist' meant.

That's not entirely true; using my vast(ly inferior) knowledge of Greek and English I determined that it probably referred to some kind of 'word robot.' After six hours of giddy googling, yahooing, and other various gerund-ing attempts I gave up my search for said word robot and resigned myself to a lonely, word-robotless existence.

As it turns out, a logomachist is one who "contends about words." I guess that jives pretty nicely with the purpose of this blog, but I'm not fond of the awkward preposition choice, so I decided to subscribe to an alternate definition of 'logomachy':

"a game played with cards, each bearing one letter, with which words are formed."

To make things easier, we'll call it Scrabble Poker. Ante up.

1 comment:

Mark Hendrickson said...

what is a wordskeeter. I mean I make the occasional ejaculatory remark every now and then, but...